1212 Griswold is an adaptive reuse project that includes both residential apartments and commercial tenant space. Built in 1895, the building is a nationally registered historic building that was once home to Detroit Savings Bank, the Chamber of Commerce and the United Way. It is located in the historic Capitol Park district and is the oldest existing high-rise building in Detroit. At the time of construction, it was also the tallest building in the state. There is a glass enclosed light court that provides natural light to the interior core of the building. An important part of restoring the exterior of the building was re-creating the roof cornice along both the Griswold and State Street facades.
The Basement through Fifth Floor was built-out to serve the offices of the Archdiocese of Detroit. The roughly 180 employees were once spread across four separate buildings. The tenant area of each floor ranges from 6,000 to 7,000 square feet. The program is a combination of private offices, conference rooms, flexible open office, and large collaborative and community areas.
The Sixth through Twelfth floors contain 56 high-end apartment units. All of the units are equipped with quartz countertops, stainless steel appliances, ceramic tile flooring and in-unit washers and dryers. Each unit also includes a bar-height kitchen island and an open living room. There are studio, one-bedroom, two-bedroom, and three-bedroom unit options ranging from 447 square-feet to 1,713 square-feet. The penthouse units on the Twelfth Floor are two-stories tall with an open cable railing along the stairs.