The Hotel Durant served as Flint, Michigan’s premier hotel for over 50 years. It was built in 1920 by the Durant Hotel Co., a partnership of local Flint business leaders and the United Hotels Co. In addition to being the founder of General Motors, William Durant was also a major investor in the hotel, and some argue that the project would not have been completed without his support. The building meets several of the U.S. Department of the Interior’s criteria to qualify for the National Register of Historic Places and is one of Flint’s most historically important and architecturally significant buildings. The hotel played an important part in the history of the U.S. automobile industry as it provided accommodations and ample conference space fit for the various dignitaries, celebrities, business leaders, and journalists visiting General Motors and the city of Flint from around the world. It is a building unparalleled, both physically and emotionally, in downtown Flint, and is one that holds many lasting memories.
KDG has been engaged to give a new life to the former hotel. The building will become a mixed use project containing apartments, art studios and commercial space. The historic dining room and main lobby will be fully restored to their ornamental grandeur and will be used as a place of gathering and for art installations. Modern apartments with contemporary finishes will be installed to give Flint a fresh look at housing while attracting college students from the adjacent University of Michigan Flint campus to live in the city.